Team Information & Registration
Teamwork is everything in dragon boat racing. A perfectly synchronized team will almost always beat a stronger, but less coordinated team.
- Teams are comprised of 20 paddlers and one drummer, plus a steersperson (provided for each boat). Each team can include up to four additional alternates on the team roster, for a maximum of 25. All paddlers must be at least 16 years of age.
- Mixed crews must include a minimum of 10 female paddlers. The drummer does not count as a paddler.
- Paddles, personal flotation devices (PFDs) and other equipment are provided to each team; however, paddlers can wear their own PFD and use their own IDBF certified paddle.
- All team members must sign a team waiver before the first team practice.
- The course is approximately 300 meters.
- Every team is guaranteed two races.
- Racing will begin at 8:00 a.m. and end around 4:00 p.m.
- Teams are expected to arrive one hour prior to their first scheduled race and be lined up in the marshaling area no less than 30 minutes prior to race time.
- Racing can sometimes get ahead or fall slightly behind schedule; therefore, all team members are encouraged to stay in the park throughout race day.
- Opening ceremonies will take place on at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 22 at Copeland Park.
- A breast cancer survivor recognition ceremony will occur at Noon on Saturday, June 22. We ask all teams to attend.
- A detailed race schedule will be sent to team captains at least one week prior to race day.
- Each team must have a captain. Review the Organize Your Team tips for a list of captain duties and tips for a successful team.
- The race will communicate regularly with team captains. Team captains are responsible for communicating with their teammates
- Register now!
- The entry fee includes a minimum of two races on race-day.
- All local registered teams will receive one free practice session – all practices are scheduled first come first served.
- Additional practices will be available for a fee.
- Registration fee is non-refundable.
Divisions and Competition Level
Team Captains will register their team in one of three race divisions:
- Community (minimum of 10 female paddlers per team)
- Corporate (minimum of 10 female paddlers per team)
- Breast Cancer Survivors (all paddlers must be breast cancer survivors)
Team Captains will register their team in one of three competition levels:
- New team – over 75% of your teammates have little to no paddling experience
- New team – More than 50% of your teammates have had some paddling experience or participated in a prior dragon boat race
- Returning team – if your team ranked in the middle of all competing teams in the last festival race, this level may be most appropriate for your team
- Returning team – if your team ranked within the top 10-15 teams at our last festival race, based on overall time, you should consider this level
- More than 50% of your teammates have previously raced and medaled in another community festival dragon boat race
- More than 50% of your teammates participate in a recreational paddle sport on a regular basis
Selecting an appropriate competition level for your team will help us plan for an exciting day of racing and allow your team to race against other teams with similar skills and interests.
Please note, practice coaches and race organizers have the right to move a team to a different competition level prior to, or on race day, based on team performance.