Team Captain Information
Recruit and Register
- Recruit 20 to 24 paddlers and 1 drummer. You’ll want to race with a team of enthusiastic paddlers who are able to commit to a full day of racing on June 22 as well as the required one-hour practice session.
- Create a team identity. Including name, team bio, team cheer or song, and team tent. Your team spirit may even earn you an award at the closing ceremony!
- Register your team no later than May 31. Be sure that each team member is at least 16 years of age and that together you fulfill requirements for your division.
- Collect teammates’ email addresses and phone numbers for the purpose of completing the required team roster and for future communication with your team.
Prepare for your Team Practice
- Schedule your free team practice – Practices will be available on a first come, first served basis. Additional practices can be purchased through the La Crosse Paddling Club.
- Prepare a boat lineup before your first practice.
- This seating chart can help. The steersperson and/or coach will also help you if needed.
- Select a drummer that is small in stature (someone under 125 lbs. is ideal) and has a loud, enthusiastic voice.
- Put lighter, more experienced paddlers or paddlers with good timing and self‐control in the front; heavier, stronger paddlers in the middle; and lighter, taller paddlers with good endurance in the rear.
- Balance the boat side‐to‐side and front-to‐back as best possible (you don’t have to ask for paddler weights, although some captains do).
- Share this important safety information in advance with all members of your team
Complete your team waiver and roster
All individuals who will be participating in the Big Blue Dragon Boat Festival must have a signed waiver prior to practicing or racing. Any person listed on a team roster must also provide a signature identifying that they have read and agree to the waiver and release of liability. Scan and email your Team Roster/Waiver to [email protected] no later than June 16. No changes will be allowed after this date.
- Team Roster/Waiver Form – a team roster/waiver must contain the names and signatures and contact information of all paddlers, your drummer and any alternates who will be in your boat at your team practice or on race day. A maximum of 24 paddlers and 1 drummer are allowed to participate on race day.
- An individual waiver form is required for any participant under the age of 18 years.
Local teams, please gather all signatures before your team practice and bring it to your scheduled practice. This will help save time at the start of practice and provide your team with more water time and training. If there are any individuals on your team who are not able to sign the waiver in advance of your team practice, they can do so at the practice location.
Out-of-town teams, please have all rostered team members complete the team roster/waiver, then scan and email it back to us at [email protected] no later than June 7.
- Individual Waiver Form – If any paddlers on your team are not able to attend practice and/or sign the team waiver prior to the due dates listed above, have the team member complete an individual waiver. All individual waivers should be attached to the team waiver or dropped off at the Team Check-in tent on Friday, June 21 from 6-8 p.m. or Saturday morning from 7-7:30 a.m. Please be sure that the team name is listed on the individual waiver. Team packets and wrist bands will not be distributed to team captains until all completed roster/waivers have been turned in.
Submit your team bio.
- Submit your team bio no later than May 31.
Communicate important information with your team
- Facilitate all communications between the festival organizers and your team. Share important information with your teammates as soon as you receive it. Encourage them to visit our website for all the details.
- Provide a tent or canopy with seating. (And decor! Don’t forget those team awards!) This is where your team will relax and get psyched up for your races. Feel free to bring water to keep your team hydrated.
- Follow the event on Facebook. Receive important updates, deadlines and other information regarding the festival. Please encourage your teammates to also join.