Team Captain Information
Recruit and Register
- Recruit 20 to 24 paddlers and 1 drummer. You’ll want to race with a team of enthusiastic paddlers who are able to commit to a full day of racing on June 22 as well as the required one-hour practice session.
- Create a team identity. Including name, team bio, team cheer or song, and team tent. Your team spirit may even earn you an award at the closing ceremony!
- Register your team no later than May 17. Be sure that each team member is at least 16 years of age and that together you fulfill requirements for your division.
- Collect teammates’ email addresses and phone numbers for the purpose of completing the required team roster and for future communication with your team.
Prepare for your Team Practice
- Schedule your free team practice – Practices will be available on a first come, first served basis. Additional practices can be purchased through the La Crosse Paddling Club.
- Prepare a boat lineup before your first practice.
- This seating chart can help. The steersperson and/or coach will also help you if needed.
- Select a drummer that is small in stature (someone under 125 lbs. is ideal) and has a loud, enthusiastic voice.
- Put lighter, more experienced paddlers or paddlers with good timing and self‐control in the front; heavier, stronger paddlers in the middle; and lighter, taller paddlers with good endurance in the rear.
- Balance the boat side‐to‐side and front-to‐back as best possible (you don’t have to ask for paddler weights, although some captains do).
- Share this important safety information in advance with all members of your team
Complete your team waiver and roster
All individuals who attend a practice or who are listed on a team roster must sign a team or individual waiver form no later than July 16 (all paddlers, your drummer and any alternates).
- Team Waiver Form – gather all signatures before your team practice. This helps speed up the practice check-in process and gives you more time on the water for your practice session. The team captain is responsible for bringing the completed team waiver to your scheduled practice. If there are any individuals on your team who are not able to sign the waiver in advance of your team practice, they can do so at the practice location.
Out-of-town teams are also required to have a completed team waiver for all roster paddlers. Email a scanned copy of your completed team waiver form no later than May 17.
- Individual Waiver Form – If any paddlers on your team are not able to attend practice, have the team member complete an individual waiver and attach it to your team waiver form.
- Any rostered paddlers who still have not completed the waiver by June 7th can do so by stopping by the Team Check-in Tent on Friday evening from 6 – 8 p.m. or Saturday morning from 7 to 7:30 a.m. This is their last opportunity to sign your team waiver. Team packets and wrist bands will not be distributed to team captains until we confirm that all paddlers on their rosters have signed a waiver.
- Team Rosters are due no later than June 7. Email your roster to us. No changes will be allowed to your team roster after this date. No exceptions.
Submit your team bio.
- Submit your team bio no later than May 31.
Communicate important information with your team
- Facilitate all communications between the festival organizers and your team. Share important information with your teammates as soon as you receive it. Encourage them to visit our website for all the details.
- Provide a tent or canopy with seating. (And decor! Don’t forget those team awards!) This is where your team will relax and get psyched up for your races. Feel free to bring water to keep your team hydrated.
- Follow the event on Facebook. Receive important updates, deadlines and other information regarding the festival. Please encourage your teammates to also join.